The Math Content Team has released new multiple choice and multi-option questions that are aligned to the Common Core domain Functions at the high school level. The questions in this content release refer to the conceptual category of Interpreting Functions. The following standards are included in the new content release:
Interpret functions that arise in applications in terms of the context.
For a function that models a relationship between two quantities, interpret key features of graphs and tables in terms of the quantities, and sketch graphs showing key features given a verbal description of the relationship.
Relate the domain of a function to its graph and, where applicable, to the quantitative relationship it describes.
Calculate and interpret the average rate of change of a function (presented symbolically or as a table) over a specified interval. Estimate the rate of change from a graph.
Sample tasks that students are asked to complete:
- Determine the intervals where a function is increasing or decreasing.
- Identify the extrema of a function.
- Describe the end behavior of functions.
- Relate the domain of a function to its graph and, where applicable, to the quantitative relationship it describes.
- Compare the average rates of change defined by an interval in a table.