The Math Content Team has released new questions aligned to the Common Core standards for the NYS Algebra 2 Common Core course. These two phases target six different standards.
- A.REI.9 – Find the inverse of a matrix if it exists and use it to solve systems of linear equations (using technology for matrices of dimension 3 × 3 or greater).
- A.SSE.4 – Derive the formula for the sum of a finite geometric series (when the common ratio is not 1), and use the formula to solve problems. For example, calculate mortgage payments.
- F.BF.2 – Write arithmetic and geometric sequences both recursively and with an explicit formula, use them to model situations, and translate between the two forms.
- F.IF.2 – Use function notation, evaluate functions for inputs in their domains, and interpret statements that use function notation in terms of a context.
- S.IC.4 – Use data from a sample survey to estimate a population mean or proportion; develop a margin of error through the use of simulation models for random sampling.
- S.CP.1 – Describe events as subsets of a sample space (the set of outcomes) using characteristics (or categories) of the outcomes, or as unions, intersections, or complements of other events (“or,” “and,” “not”).
Sample Questions with Reasons