The Math Content Team has released new questions aligned to the Common Core standards for the NYS Algebra 2 Common Core course. This new content release targets four different standards. This is the first phase of our Algebra 2 Common Core Content update.
- APR.3 – Identify zeros of polynomials when suitable factorizations are available, and use the zeros to construct a rough graph of the function defined by the polynomial.
- GPE.2 – Derive the equation of a parabola given a focus and directrix.
- TF.3 – Use the unit circle to find the numerical value of a trigonometric function.
- SSE.3 – Use the properties of exponents to transform expressions for exponential functions.
Sample tasks that students are asked to complete:
- Use the zeros to construct a rough graph of a polynomial function.
- Determine the equation of a parabola given the focus and directrix.
- Find the value of a trig function given the point the terminal side passes through.
- Use the properties of exponents to convert the growth rate in an exponential expression from an annual growth rate to a quarterly, monthly, etc. growth rate.