Attention English teachers! Questions for Tim O’Brien’s fictional work, The Things They Carried, are now available on Castle Learning! The raw and realistic piece on the Vietnam war is a collection of short stories by O’Brien based on his time in Vietnam. The book is part memoir and part fiction. Not just a combat story of pride and glory, it is a compassionate tale of the American soldier, containing raw honesty and thoughtful reflection.
There are 104 questions covering each chapter, with a variety of question types focusing on different reading skills. Students will be exposed to questions requiring reading skills such as: identifying factual information, making inferences and drawing conclusions, vocabulary in context, literary terms/devices, theme, mood/tone, etc. There are multiple choice and constructed response questions.
To locate the questions:
- Search Castle Questions
- On the Question Criteria page, be sure the Show Classic Courses button in unchecked
- Select ELA
- Select Question Type(s) and Filter by Topics, then Start
- Select Novel under Topics
- Page down to bottom of the Novel list
- Click the blue + sign next to The Things They Carried
- Check the entire set or certain chapters you want questions for
- Click Save Choices & Show Questions to view individual questions and add them to your assignment
Whether teachers just teach sections of the book or the novel in its entirety, they will find questions to meet the needs of students.