The Math Content Team has released new questions aligned to the Common Core standards for the NYS Algebra 2 Common Core course. This new content release targets four different standards. This is the second phase of our Algebra 2 Common Core Content update.
- A.APR.2 – Know and apply the Remainder Theorem: For a polynomial p(x) and a number a, the remainder on division by x – a is p(a), so p(a) = 0 if and only if (x – a) is a factor of p(x).
- A.REI.2 – Solve simple rational and radical equations in one variable, and give examples showing how extraneous solutions may arise.
- N.CN.2 – Use the relation i2 = -1 and the commutative, associative, and distributive properties to add, subtract, and multiply complex numbers.
- N.RN.2 – Rewrite expressions involving radicals and rational exponents using the properties of exponents.
Sample tasks that students are asked to complete:
- Use the properties of exponents to convert between radical and rational exponential form.
- Multiply binomials with complex numbers to simplify to a + bi.
- Use synthetic or long division to find another factor of a polynomial given one factor.
- Solve radical equations identifying any extraneous solutions.