The Math Content Team has released new multiple choice, select all that apply, and fill-in questions that are aligned to the Common Core for the 5th grade. The questions in this content release refer to the domain of Measurement and Data. The following standards are included in the new content release:
Convert like measurement units within a given measurement system.
- 5.MD.1 – Convert among different-sized standard measurement units within a given measurement system (e.g., convert 5 cm to 0.05 m), and use these conversions in solving multi-step, real world problems.
Represent and interpret data.
- 5.MD.2 – Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions of a unit (1/2, 1/4, 1/8). Use operations on fractions for this grade to solve problems involving information presented in line plots.
Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume.
- 5.MD.4 – Measure volumes by counting unit cubes, using cubic cm, cubic in, cubic ft, and improvised units.
- 5.MD.5 – Relate volume to the operations of multiplication and addition and solve real world and mathematical problems involving volume.
Sample tasks that students are asked to complete:
- Use conversions in solving multi-step, real world problems.
- Solve problems involving information presented in line plots.
- Measure volume by counting cubes.
- Find the volume of a cube by multiplying the side lengths.