The Math Content Team has released new multiple choice and constructed response questions that are aligned to the Common Core for the 3rd grade. The questions in this content release refer to the domain “Operations and Algebraic Thinking.” The following standards are included in the new content release:
- 3.OA.1 – Interpret products of whole numbers, e.g., interpret 5 × 7 as the total number of objects in 5 groups of 7 objects each.
- 3.OA.3 – Use multiplication and division within 100 to solve word problems in situations.
- 3.OA.4 – Determine the unknown whole number in a multiplication or division equation relating three whole numbers.
- 3.OA.5 – Apply properties of operations as strategies to multiply and divide.
- 3.OA.6 – Understand division as an unknown-factor problem.
- 3.OA.8 – Solve two-step word problems using the four operations. Represent these problems using equations with a letter standing for the unknown quantity. Assess the reasonableness of answers using mental computation and estimation strategies including rounding.
- 3.OA.9 – Identify arithmetic patterns (including patterns in the addition table or multiplication table), and explain them using properties of operations.
Sample Questions with Reasons